The Santa Margherita complex is the only case in Piacenza of conservation and enhancement of stratified traces of the city's two thousand year history. A three-nave temple dedicated to Santa Liberata was built here in the second half of the 6th century on the site of an earlier Romanesque building; a new Romanesque church dedicated to Santa Margherita was erected on top of it after the year 1000. The present building, however, dates back to the first half of the 18th century. Excavations carried out in its subsoil have brought to light the remains of a furnace, some tombs, probably Lombard, and objects of Roman origin. The pieces are now on display in the Antiquarium inside the ancient building in an evocative exhibition that traces Piacenza's history from the Roman age to the Middle Ages and the Baroque.