The Civic Archaeological Museum of Bologna has been housed in the 15th-century Palazzo Galvani since its official inauguration on 25 September 1881. It houses the rich archaeological collections coming from the ancient University Museum, from the donation of the painter Pelagio Palagi and from the excavations carried out in Bologna and its territory between the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century. The museum ranks among the most important archaeological collections in Italy and is mainly representative of local history, from prehistory to the Roman age. Its Etruscan section is the starting point for learning about the civilisation of Etruria in the Po Valley, whose capital was Bologna, the Etruscan Felsina. The ancient collections preserve masterpieces of Greek and Roman art; of particular note is the collection of Egyptian antiquities, one of the most important in Europe.