Home  /  Chapel of San Severo – The only Perugian fresco by Raphael

Chapel of San Severo – The only Perugian fresco by Raphael

0
The Chapel of San Severo is famous for housing Raphael's only fresco in the Perugia area, that of the 'Trinity and Saints'. Raphael was called to work there in 1505, when the artist was moving between Florence and Perugia and was experiencing his first peak of popularity with works such as the 'Pala Baglioni', which would soon open the doors of Rome to him. The commissioners of the fresco were Troilo Baglioni, former Bishop of Perugia, and Cardinal Gabriele de' Gabrielli of Gubbio, Bishop of Urbino. However, the artist from Urbino only completed the upper part of the fresco, and once he had settled in Rome, he was unable to visit Perugia. He waited until his death in 1520 to entrust the work to another artist, Raphael's old master, Perugino, who completed the lower half.

Chapel of San Severo – The only Perugian fresco by Raphael

Via dell'Aquila, 23, 06122 Perugia PG, Italy

Contact the property