Home  /  Church of Santa Maria Liberatrice – The legend of the Holy House of Loreto

Church of Santa Maria Liberatrice – The legend of the Holy House of Loreto

0
The Church of Santa Maria Liberatrice is a monument that was built on the remains of an earlier sacred building, following the end of a plague epidemic (hence the name 'liberatrice'). According to tradition, the church is linked to the history of the Holy House of Loreto, the Nazareth home of the Virgin Mary. Legend has it that in 1291, when the Crusaders were finally expelled from Palestine, the masonry walls of the House of Our Lady were transported "by angelic ministry", first to Illyria (Trsat, in present-day Croatia) and then to the territory of Loreto (10 December 1294). During the journey of the Holy House from Nazareth to the Marches, it seems that the angels placed the House on the very spot where the Church of Santa Maria Liberatrice stands.

Church of Santa Maria Liberatrice – The legend of the Holy House of Loreto

Via Cupa di Posatora, 7, 60131 Ancona AN, Italy

Contact the property