Home  /  Church of the Eremitani – The debut of the Mantegna

Church of the Eremitani – The debut of the Mantegna

0
The Church of the Eremitani is a treasure trove of precious works of art, and the Ovetari Chapel inside was once a jewel within a jewel. Built by Antonio Ovetari, it was completed by his wife on his death with stories of Saints Christopher and James, frescoed by a group of five artists including the young Andrea Mantegna, then aged 17 and a pupil of Squarcione. Unfortunately, on 11 March 1944, 111 American "flying fortresses" dropped more than three hundred bombs, one of which hit the Ovetari chapel: only the two lower panels of the right wall, dropped at the end of the nineteenth century because they were damaged, were saved. Today they are the only remaining evidence of Mantegna's debut.

Church of the Eremitani – The debut of the Mantegna

Piazza Eremitani, 29-19, 35121 Padova PD, Italy

Contact the property