The Sistine Chapel takes its name from Pope Sixtus IV della Rovere, who had the ancient Magna Chapel renovated between 1477 and 1480. The 15th-century decoration of the walls was carried out by a team of painters consisting initially of Pietro Perugino, Sandro Botticelli, Domenico Ghirlandaio and Cosimo Rosselli, assisted by their respective workshops and some of their closest collaborators. Pier Matteo d'Amelia painted a starry sky on the vault. Later, Pope Julius II della Rovere, nephew of Sixtus IV, decided to partially change the decoration of the Sistine Chapel, entrusting the task to Michelangelo Buonarroti in 1508, who painted the vault and, on the upper part of the walls, the lunettes. In October 1512 the work was completed and on All Saints' Day Julius II inaugurated the Sistine Chapel with a solemn mass.
Vatican Museums – The Sistine Chapel
00120 Città del Vaticano VA, 00120 Città del Vaticano, Vatican City