Here are ten things to see in Chieti on a trip:
1. The Cathedral of San Giustino: This imposing religious building dates back to the 13th century and is one of the city's main places of worship.
2. The National Archaeological Museum of Chieti: Located inside the Palazzo De Mayo, this museum houses a vast collection of archaeological finds that tell the story of the region.
3. The Marrucino Theatre: Built in 1818, this neoclassical theatre is one of the most important in the region and is famous for its magnificent theatrical and musical performances.
4. The Church of Sant'Agostino: This ancient religious building is considered one of the jewels of Abruzzo's Romanesque architecture, with a beautiful Gothic portal.
5. The Castle of Roccascalegna: Located near Chieti, this medieval castle offers a spectacular panoramic view of the surrounding valley and is a perfect place for a historical visit.
6. Majella National Park: Located near Chieti, this national park offers a wide range of outdoor activities, including hiking, climbing and wildlife spotting.
7. The Fountain of the 99 Spouts: This historic fountain is an icon of Chieti and features 99 small spouts representing the 99 districts of the city. It is considered one of the symbols of the city.
8. The Costantino Barbella Art Museum: This museum houses the collection of Abruzzo artist Costantino Barbella, known for his bronze sculptures and works of art.
9. The Michele Tenore Botanical Garden: Located within the University of Chieti-Pescara, this botanical garden offers a wide variety of plants and flowers, and is a peaceful place to stroll and relax.
10. Basilica di San Bernardino: This 17th-century basilica is dedicated to Saint Bernardine of Siena and is famous for its fine frescoes and stuccoes. It is an important place of worship for the faithful.
And to discover all the curiosities of the city without unnecessary research, try our free map. Try Secret Maps. Thousands of legends, ghost stories, art treasures and many wonders await you!