Here is a list of 10 things to see in Lucca during a trip:
1. The Walls of Lucca - This city is famous for its ancient medieval walls, which are perfectly preserved and surround the entire historical centre. You can walk or cycle along the walls to enjoy a panoramic view of the city.
2. The Duomo di San Martino - This imposing cathedral is one of Lucca's main landmarks. Inside you can admire the High Altar by Jacopo della Quercia and the famous Volta di San Martino, frescoed by Tintoretto.
3. Piazza dell'Anfiteatro - This unique square, located in the former Roman amphitheatre, is surrounded by colourful buildings and offers a variety of restaurants and shops. It is a great place to relax and enjoy the lively atmosphere of the city.
4. Church of San Michele in Foro - This charming religious building features a richly decorated façade and a bell tower with a panoramic view of the city. The interior houses works of art by renowned artists such as Filippino Lippi.
5. Puccini House - This modest house was the birthplace of the famous composer Giacomo Puccini. Today it serves as a museum dedicated to his life and music, with personal items and works of art.
6. Guinigi Tower - One of Lucca's most iconic towers, the Guinigi Tower is 44 metres high and offers an enchanting panoramic view of the city. What makes it special are the holm oak trees at the top of the tower.
7. Basilica di San Frediano - This Romanesque basilica features a beautiful façade with a golden mosaic. The interior features frescoes and a crypt housing the remains of San Frediano.
8. Pfanner Palace Gardens - These Italian-style gardens are located next to an elegant 17th-century palace. They offer an oasis of tranquillity with fountains, statues and a large panoramic terrace.
9. Napoleon Square - This large square is the centre of the city's political life and is surrounded by historical buildings and fashionable shops. It is also home to the famous Lucca Summer Music Festival.
10. Museo Nazionale di Palazzo Mansi - This museum houses a vast collection of artworks, antique furniture, tapestries and antiques. It is a great place to discover the history and culture of the city.
And to discover all the curiosities of the city without unnecessary research, try our free map. Try Secret Maps. Thousands of legends, ghost stories, art treasures and many wonders await you!