Here is a list of 10 things to see in Matera during a trip:
1 The Sasso Caveoso: The oldest quarter of Matera, known for its dwellings carved into the rock that offer a unique view of the city.
2. The Sasso Barisano: Another historic district of Matera, famous for its rock-hewn churches and traditional dwellings.
3. Matera Cathedral: Located in the heart of the city, this majestic Catholic church offers fascinating architecture and overlooks the main square.
4. Rione Civita: A charming neighbourhood with beautiful buildings and a quiet atmosphere, offering a panoramic view of the modern part of Matera.
5. Piazza Vittorio Veneto: One of Matera's main squares, with a central fountain and a panoramic view of the Sasso Barisano.
6. Museo della Civiltà Contadina: A museum illustrating traditional rural life in the Matera region through objects, photographs and artefacts.
7. The Rock Church of Santa Lucia Alle Malve: One of the largest rock churches in Matera, with frescoes and an evocative atmosphere.
8. Palazzo Lanfranchi: An aristocratic residence dating back to the 16th century, now housing the National Museum of Medieval and Modern Art of Basilicata.
9. Parco della Murgia Materana: A natural area surrounding Matera, famous for its breathtaking landscapes and prehistoric archaeological sites.
10. Local restaurants and trattorias: You cannot miss a taste of traditional Lucanian cuisine, with dishes such as baked pasta, focaccia, Matera bread and typical desserts.
And to discover all the curiosities of the city without unnecessary research, try our free map. Try Secret Maps. Thousands of legends, ghost stories, art treasures and many wonders await you!