Here is a list of 10 things to see in Naples during a trip:
1 The historic centre: Explore the picturesque and lively streets of the historic centre of Naples, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Admire the Baroque buildings, squares and markets, such as the famous Spaccanapoli.
2. The Maschio Angioino: This medieval castle is one of the symbols of Naples. Visit its ornate cells and halls and enjoy panoramic views over the city and gulf.
3. Pompeii: Just 30 minutes by train from Naples, you'll find the ancient city buried in the ashes of the eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79. Explore the ruins of Pompeii and admire its well-preserved frescoes, streets and temples.
4. The National Archaeological Museum in Naples: This museum houses one of the most important collections of Greco-Roman art and artefacts in the world. Admire the artwork, sculptures and mosaics, including the famous Farnese Hercules.
5. Naples Cathedral: This imposing cathedral is dedicated to San Gennaro, the patron saint of Naples. Admire the Gothic architecture, chapels and treasury containing the relics of San Gennaro.
6. Reggia di Capodimonte: Located on a hill just outside Naples, the Reggia di Capodimonte is a royal palace surrounded by a vast park. Admire the collection of paintings, sculptures and art objects inside the Capodimonte Museum.
7. The Lungomare: Take a stroll along the Lungomare di Napoli, a long coastal promenade offering spectacular views of the sea and Mount Vesuvius. Enjoy a pizza or an ice cream while taking in the view.
8. La Certosa and Museo di San Martino: This religious complex and museum is situated on a hill and offers an extraordinary panoramic view of the city. Explore the well-preserved churches, chapels and cloisters and admire the works of art and religious objects.
9. Galleria Umberto I: This covered shopping arcade, built in 1890, is an architectural jewel of Naples. Admire the magnificent domed ceiling, elegant shops and historic cafés inside.
10. Vesuvius: If you have time, visit Mount Vesuvius, the famous volcano that erupted in 79 AD. You can hike to the summit for panoramic views of the Bay of Naples and the chance to walk on the crater.
And to discover all the curiosities of the city without unnecessary research, try our free map. Try Secret Maps. Thousands of legends, ghost stories, art treasures and many wonders await you!