Here are ten things to see on a trip to Pavia:
1. Charterhouse of Pavia: This large monastic complex is one of the most important examples of Renaissance architecture in Italy. The Charterhouse is a masterpiece with beautiful frescoes, a cloister and a breathtaking church.
2. Ponte Coperto: This ancient covered bridge is one of the symbols of Pavia. Crossing the Ticino river, it offers a panoramic view of the city.
3. Baptistery of San Giovanni: This ancient building dates back to the 4th century and is one of the oldest early Christian baptisteries in Europe. Beautiful mosaics can be admired inside.
4. Museum of Natural History: Located within the University of Pavia, this museum is packed with valuable collections of minerals, fossils and animals. It is a fascinating place for science and natural history enthusiasts.
5. Basilica di San Michele: This imposing Romanesque church is one of Pavia's main places of worship. The interior features a magnificent cycle of frescoes.
6. Teatro Fraschini: Overlooking Pavia's main square, this theatre is considered one of the most beautiful in Italy. Its interior is decorated with gilded stuccoes and frescoes.
7. Castello Visconteo: This medieval castle offers a panoramic view of the city and is surrounded by a park. Inside you can visit the Archaeological Museum.
8. Church of San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro: This church houses the mausoleum of St. Augustine and the body of Boethius. The interior is decorated with precious works of art.
9. Botanical Garden: Located near the University, the Botanical Garden of Pavia is a green oasis with numerous species of plants and flowers. It is an ideal place for a peaceful walk.
10. Corso Strada Nuova: This pedestrian street is the beating heart of Pavia. It is one of the main shopping streets, with fascinating medieval and Renaissance buildings along the way.
And to discover all the curiosities of the city without unnecessary research, try our free map. Try Secret Maps. Thousands of legends, ghost stories, art treasures and many wonders await you!