Here are ten things to see in Perugia on a trip:
1. Palazzo dei Priori: Located in Piazza IV Novembre, it is one of the symbols of Perugia. It is the city's town hall and also houses the Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria (National Gallery of Umbria), which holds a vast collection of artworks.
2. Rocca Paolina: A 16th century fortress built above the ancient quarters of the medieval city. Today it houses restaurants, shops and art galleries. A panoramic view of the city can be enjoyed from its garden.
3. Cathedral of San Lorenzo: Located in the historical centre of Perugia, this beautiful cathedral dates back to the 13th century and is an excellent example of Gothic architecture.
4. Basilica di San Pietro: This is the oldest church in Perugia, dating back to the 8th century. Inside you can admire 14th century frescoes and a crypt with medieval frescoes.
5. Museo Archeologico Nazionale dell'Umbria (National Archaeological Museum of Umbria): Located inside the Palazzo della Penna, the museum houses a vast collection of archaeological finds from Umbria, including ceramics, coins and sculptures.
6. Fontana Maggiore: Located in Piazza IV Novembre, it is one of the most beautiful medieval fountains in Italy. It was built in the 13th century and features intricate carvings and decorations.
7. Oratory of San Bernardino: This small church is known for its frescoes by Pietro Perugino, one of Italy's most important Renaissance painters.
8. Giardini del Frontone: A public park located in the hills of Perugia, offering a beautiful view of the city and its surroundings. It is an ideal place for a walk or a picnic.
9. Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria: Housed inside the Palazzo dei Priori, the gallery houses a vast collection of Umbrian art, including paintings, sculptures and frescoes.
10. Underground Tunnels of Perugia: An underground tour that allows you to explore the labyrinth of caves, cisterns and underground passageways that extend beneath the historic centre of Perugia. It is a unique and fascinating experience.
And to discover all the curiosities of the city without unnecessary research, try our free map. Try Secret Maps. Thousands of legends, ghost stories, art treasures and many wonders await you!